Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Kill it before it lays eggs

I bought this can of Kodak 35mm cine version of Tri-X film from late 50s in a hope to find it exposed, but it turned out to be not. So I used the opportunity to check my old film development process on it. First, I put it in my FED-2 rangefinder camera and exposed at 50 E.I. (originally it was 320 ASA but 50 ASA is my best guess of what's left of it), I also bracketed with +1 and +2. Then, I used my standard process for developing fresh Tri-X (4.5 min @ 75F/24C in TMax 1:4) and it turned out to be heavily fogged, barely printable/scannable. Then I developed it in 10% HC-110 at 50F/10C for 2.5 minutes (the time had been calculated based on test). It came out ok. Here is how it looked after the development:

The top 2 strips are standard development, the bottom 2 are my old film process.
I thought about using the film. Then I thought better of it. It is old, it has fungus in emulsion.
It could infect my other films and cameras.

Bye-bye 5233.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I have your can of film or at least another can you used to have. My friend in the Ukraine Ihor Chykalo sent me a can of this in a parcel trade of goodies. I bought some svema films and russian cameras from him and we also trade other goodies. He is fond of american hot sauces and peanut butter--he was in heaven with huge jars of Skippy from Costco & had his first taste of Sriracha sauce & Chipotle peppers (grin). I had very good results with your film in HC110 Dilution B (1:31) with 1% benzo to tame the fog 7.5 minutes at room temp (about 78F here in Tucson Az). It's grainy, yes but no signs of fungus on the roll I received so far. One sample shot here on Flickr Daniel Keating, Tucson Az