Monday, October 14, 2024

Expired in 1938

I have a small archive of old Kodak Verichrome roll film I acquired some years ago. The rolls are all exposed and stored in original boxes:

Expiration date in 1938:
Bought in pharmacy in small California town:
Yesterday I developed the roll. For a 90-years old film, the hopes are low. Even some shadows of shadows are a miricle. And the problem is not just the age of the film. The original Verichrome had very chemically active backing paper, which affected the film gravely, introducing strong fogging. So, it wasn't a big surprise when I the discovered very dark film after my usual old film development process. Still, something was there, and it went into scanning:
There is nothing to add, other then may be the photographer lived in Corning, CA and not just passed through, because there is another roll with the expiration date 2 years in the future with the same pharmacy ad slapped on the box.
Dixi.

No comments:

Post a Comment